HACKET, Thomas Bernard

Sapper 254th Tunneling Company. Corps of Royal Engineers.
Gazetted on 5th August 1916.
Born on 11th June 1873 at Nottingham.
Died on 27th June 1916 at Givenchy, France.
Memorials are at: Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium; The Market Hall, Mexborough, Yorkshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On the 22nd and 23rd of June 1916 at Shaftsbury Avenue Mine, near Gavenchy, France, Sapper Hackett was entombed with four others in a gallery, owing to the explosion of an enemy mine. After working for 24 hours a hole was made and the rescue party outside contacted. Sapper Hackett helped three of the men through the hole and could easily have followed but refused to leave the fourth man who had been seriously injured. The hole gradually got smaller, but he still refused to leave his injured comrade. Finally the gallery collapsed and although the rescue party worked desperately for four days, they were unable to reach the two men.
Additional information: Field-Marshall Sir Evelyn Wood VC wrote that this was ‘The most divine-like act of self sacrifice.'
William Hackett was Born on to John and Harriet, on the 11th of June 1873, in Nottingham. Educated at the local school he left to go down the mines. He married Alice Tooby in 1900 and they had two chilren, a son and a daughter.
After losing his job, he and Alice went to Mexborough to take a job, again in the mines. He was 41 years of age at the outbreak of the European War and he was eager to fight. He volunteered to join the local regiment, The York and Lancaster Regiment. He was turned down three times before being accepted in the Corps of Royal Engineers in the 254th Tunneling Company. This was a company used to dig tunnels under the enemy lines.
It was sixteen days after his 43rd birthday that William Hackett gasve his life for a fellow tunneler. All is said, in his citation, of the unselfish and outstanding courage of William Hackett. He could have saved himself, returning perhaps to the bosom of his own family. This was one of the most outstanding acts of bravery that a man could perform. Perhaps THE bravest.

There is no greater sacrifice a man can make than to give his life for a comrade.

HAINE Reginald Leonard
2nd Lieutenant (later Lieutenant Colonel) 1st Battalion Honourable Artillery Company
Gazetted on 8th June 1917
Born on 10th of July 1896 at Wandsworth, London.
Died on 12th June 1982 in London.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 28th/29th April 1917 near Gavrelle, France, when our troopps were holding a salient which was being repeatedly counter-attacked by the enemy Second Lieutenant Haine organised and led six bombing attacks against a German strong point and captured the position, together with 50 prisoners and two machine-guns. The enemy at once counter-attacked and regained the lost ground, but Second Lieutenant Haine formed a ‘block' in his trench and for the whole of the following night maintained his position. Next morning he he again attacked and recaptured the position. His splendid example inspired his men during more than 30 hours of continuous fighting
Additional information: He was also awarded the Military Cross and Bar. He was only 20 years old when he won the VC. He was the son of a Scotland Yard Policeman (the rank isn't stated) He spent some time as a Boy Scout before enlisting in the Honourable Artillery Company on the 24th August 1914. He was sent abroad a month later (September).
He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in December 1916 and it was whilst he was attached to Sikhs, Indian Army that he won the Military Cross and Bar. He won the VC on the 28/29th of April 1917, on the same day as a comrade, and at the same battle, Lietenant Alfred Oliver Pollard. They were both at the investiture at Buckingham Palace and on their return to the Armoury House they were greeted by a rousing welcome. The two men 2nd Lieutenant Haine and Captain Pollard walked between the ranks of parading men to a raised platform. There along with their relatives they were greeted by General Sir Henry Mackinnon and Colonel The Earl of Denbigh. A speech was made by the Earl about the regimental traditions and the bravery shown by these ‘two boys.'

HALE, Thomas Egerton

HALL, Arthur Charles
Corporal. 54th Battalion (New South Wales). Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 14th December, 1918.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Born on 11th August, 1896 at Granville, New South Wales, Australia.
Died on 25th February, 1978 at New South Wales Australia.
Memorial on grave at West Bogan Cemetery, Coolabah, New South Wales and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 1st September, 1918 at Peronne, France, Corporal Hall rushed a machine-gun post, shooting four of the enemy and capturing nine, with two guns. Continuously in advance of the main party, he personally led assault parties, capturing many small parties of the enemy and machine guns. On a morning of 2nd September during a heavy barrage, he carried to safety a comrade who had been dangerously wounded and was in urgent need of medical attention.

HALL, Frederick William
Company Sergeant-Major. 8th Manitoba Regiment. Canadian Expeditionary Force.
Gazetted on 23rd June, 1915.
Born on 8th February, 1885 at Kilkenny, Ireland.
Died on 25th April, 1915 at Gravenstafel, Ypres, Belgium. (killed in action).
Memorials at Menin Gate War Memorial, Belgium and on a lamp-post in Valour Road *, Winnipeg, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 24th April 1915, near Ypres, Belgium, when a wounded man, who was lying some 15 yards from the trench, called for help, Company Sergeant-Major Hall endeavoured to reach him in the face of very heavy enfilade fire by the enemy. He then made a second most gallant attempt, and was in the act of lifting up the wounded man to bring him in when he fell mortally wounded in the head.
* C S M Frederick William Hall was one of three Victoria Cross winners who all came from the same street, Pine Street, Winnipeg, Canada which was renamed Valour Road in their honour. The other two men were Corporal Leo Clarke and Lieutenant Robert Shankland.

HALL, William
Able Seaman. Royal Navy (Naval Brigade).
Gazetted on 1st February, 1859.
Born on 28th April, 1827 at Horton's Bluff, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Died on 25th August, 1904 at Hantsport, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Memorial on the Cairn monument at Hantsport, Nova Scotia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th November, 1857 at Lucknow, India, naval guns were brought up close to the Shah Nujeff Mosque, and the gun crews kept up a steady fire in an attempt to breach the walls, while a hail of musket balls and grenades from the mutineers inside the mosque caused heavy casualties. Able Seaman Hall and the Lieutenant * in command of the gun crews were , after a time, the only survivors, all the rest having been killed or wounded, and between them they loaded and served the last gun.
* T J Young
Additional information:. Petty Officer Hall was the first coloured man to win the Victoria Cross .

HALLIDAY, Lewis Stratford Tollemache
Captain. Royal Marine Light Infantry.
Gazetted on 1st January, 1901.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Marine museum, Eastney Barracks, Southsea, Hants.
Born on 14th May, 1870 at Medstead, Hampshire.
Died on 9th March 1966 at Dorking, Surrey.
Memorial at Royal Marine Depot at Eastney Barracks, Southsea, Hampshire. Also in Royal Marine Museum, Eastney Barracks, Southsea.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 24th June 1900 at Peking, China, an attack was made on the British Legation by the Boxers who set fire to the stables and occupied some of the other buildings. It being imperative to drive the enemy out, a hole was knocked in the Legation wall and 20 men of the RMLI went in. Captain Halliday, leading a party of six men, was involved in desperate fighting and was severely wounded, but despite his injuries, he killed four of the enemy. Finally, unable to carry on any further, he ordered his men to go on without him, after which he was taken to hospital.
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Sir Lewis Halliday was a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB). After serving in World War One he was sent as a member of the British Delegation to the peace conference. From 1927-38 he was Adjutant General of the Royal Marines and their Honorary Colonel Commandant from 1930-40

Lance-Corporal. 11th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers.
Gazetted on 25th July, 1918.
Born on 29th December, 1873 at Chadderton, Oldham, Lancashire.
Died on 14th June 1956 at Manchester, Lancashire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27th May 1918 at Mustcourt, France, when the remnants of the battalion were withdrawing and being closely engaged by the enemy, Lance-Corporal Halliwell, having captured a stray horse, rode out under heavy rifle and machine-gun fire and rescued a man from No-Man's-Land. He repeated this performance several times and succeeded in rescuing an officer and nine other ranks. He made a last effort to reach a wounded man but was driven back by the very close advance of the enemy.

HALLOWES, Rupert Price

HALTON, Albert
Private. 1st Battalion, King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment.
Gazetted on 26th November, 1917.
Born on 1st May, 1893 at Warton, Carnforth, Lancashire.
Died on 24th July 1971 at Lancaster, Lancashire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 12th October 1917 near Poelcapelle, Belgium, after the objective had been reached, Private Halton rushed forward about 300 yards under very heavy fire and captured a machine gun and its crew which was causing heavy losses to our men. He then went out again and brought in 12 prisoners, showing the greatest disregard for his own safety and setting a fine example to those round him.
Additional information:. His name is recorded as Hatton in the "Victoria Cross 1856-1920". "
He was Born on at Mill Road, Warton, the son of Jonathan and Sarah Hatton. His father was one of the oldest employees at a Carnforth ironworks where he worked as a blast furnace man. He left Carnforth National School at the age of 13 and he worked as a farm worker for various employers. He also worked, London and north-western Railway for a short time. He was working for a Cornforth Contractor before leaving to join the Army on 15th August 1915 as a Private (Army No. 241475) in the 5th King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.
While serving in the European war (WW I) he was wounded on the Somme on 22nd October 1916 and was hospitalised in Aberdeen.
He rejoined his regiment, at the front, on the 1st March 1917 and was drafted into the 1st Battalion.
After his decoration with the Victoria Cross he returned home to Carnforth where he was escorted, by the residents and schoolchildren marching to a brass band, to his home which was three-quarters of a mile from the station.


HAMILTON, John Brown
Lance-Corporal. 1st/9th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry.
Gazetted on 26th November, 1917.
Born on 26th August, 1896 at Dunbarton, Scotland.
Died on 23rd July, 1973 at East Kilbride, Scotland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 25th/26th September, 1917 north of the Ypres-Menin Road, Belgium, great difficulty was experienced in keeping the front and support line supplied with small-arms ammunition, owing to the intense artillery fire. At a time when the supply had reached a seriously low level, Lance-Corporal Hamilton on several occasions, on his own initiative, carried bandoliers of ammunition through the enemy fields of fire and then, in full year of their snipers and machine-guns which were lying out in the front our line at close range, he distributed the ammunition.

HAMILTON, John Patrick
Private. 3rd Battalion (New South Wales). Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 15th October 1915.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Born on 29th January 1896 at Orange, Penshurst, New South Wales, Australia.
Died on 27th February, 1961 at Sydney, Australia.
Memorial on at Woronora Cemetery, Sydney and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th August, 1915, at Lone Pine, Gallipoli, during a heavy bomb attack by the enemy on the newly captured position, Private Hamilton, with utter disregard for personal safety, exposed himself to a heavy enemy fire on the parados, in order to secure a better fire position against the enemy's bomb throwers. His daring example had an immediate effect. The defence was encouraged and the enemy driven off with heavy loss.

HAMILTON, Thomas de Courcy
Captain. 68th Regiment. (Durham Light Infantry).
Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born on 20th July 1825 at Stranraer, Wigtownshire, Scotland.
Died on 3rd March 1908 at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
Memorial on grave at Cheltenham Cemetery, and in the Garrison Church at Whittington Barracks, Lichfield Staffordshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 11th May 1855 in the Crimea, in a most determined sortie, Captain Hamilton boldly charged great numbers of the enemy with a small force, driving them from a battery of which they had taken possession. He was conspicuous for his gallantry on this occasion and his action saved the works from falling into enemy hands.
Additional information:. Major-General Hamilton held the Légion d'Honneur of France. He commanded the 64th Regiment, later to become the North Staffordshire Regiment, in 1862.

HAMILTON, Walter Richard Pollock
Lieutenant Bengal Staff Corps/Corps of Guides, Indian Army.
Gazetted on 1st September 1879.
Born on 18th August 1856 at Inistioge, Kilkenny, Ireland.
Died on 3rd September 1879 at Kabul in Afghanistan.
Memorials are at the Horse Show Hall, Ballsbridge, Dublin and the sanctum crypt of St. Luke's Church, Chelsea, London and his statue stands in the Kildare Street Library^ in Dublin. (^Recorded 1920)
Digest of Citation reads:
On 2 April 1879 at Futtehabad,* Lieutenant Hamilton led a charge of the Guide Cavalry against very superior numbers of the enemy. When his commanding officer fell, the lieutenant, the only officer left with the regiment, assumed command and cheered his men on to avenge the death of the commanding officer. In this charge, seeing that a sowar+ was down, entangled with his dead horse and being attacked by three of the enemy, Lieutenant Hamilton rushed to the rescue, cutting down all three and saving the life of the sowar.
*Afghan War + Private, Indian Army.
Additional information: He was the son of Alexander Hamilton JP., and his wife Emma (Daughter of Rt. Hon. Sir Frederick Pollock. Bart.
Hamilton was educated at Eagle House in Wimbledon, also at Felstead School, Essex. In an open examination for the Army he gained 21st place and joined the 70th Regiment In October 1874 he sent to India at HQ., Rawalpindi. After accepting a commission in the Corps of Guides he took an examination in languages and passed. He was transferred to the Cavalry Section. His career was as follows. 1877-78 he served throughout the Itwaki-Afrida Expedition --- Became ADC to General Keyes ----14th March 1878 in operations against the village of Ranitzai,Skhakat. --- In October 1878 took Guides to Jamrud and reconnoitred the area of the Khyber Pass,.for six weeks, in the expectation of hostilities with Afghanistan --- In the fisrt campaign he served with the Cavalry on which much of the burden fell.--- He was at the occasion of the capture of Ali Musjid. --- March 1879 he was in command of an escort of a party of surveyors under Lt.Leech of the Royal Engineers. When attacked by Ghinwari tribesmen, his escort beat them off. --- Later in March he advanced with General Gough and his brigade to Futtebahad. It was in the action of the 2nd April 1879 that he lost his best friend, Major Wigram Battye.
When he was first recommended for the VC the War Office refused to award the medal.
He was chosen as a Political Assistant to Sir Louis Cavagnari who was to be Minister and Diplomat at an Embassy to Kabul. On the 3rd of September 1879 the Embassy was attacked and the entire staff, with the exception of a few Corps of Guides, were murdered. Amongst the killed, was Lieutenant Hamilton, but not before he had killed three men with his pistol and using his sword felled two more before being killed himself.
Eight days before he Died on he wrote home sending verses on the disaster at Kabul in 1841.
How England's shame shone brighter as she fought,
And wrenched lost laurels from their funeral pile,
And rose at last from out misfortune's tide,
Supreme, for God and right were on her side..
Lieutenant Hamilton Died on before receiving the news that his VC had been Gazetted on the 3rd September 1879.

HAMMOND, Arthur George
Captain. Bengal Staff Corps/Corps of Guides, Indian Army.
Gazetted on 18th October, 1881.
Born on 28th September, 1843 at Dawlish, Devon.
Died on 20th April, 1919 at Camberley, Surrey.
Memorial on grave in St Michael's Churchyard, Camberley, Surrey.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 14th December, 1879 at the action on the Asmai Heights, near Kabul, Afghanistan, Captain Hammond defended the top of the hill with a rifle and fixed bayonet against large numbers of the enemy, while the 72nd Highlanders and Guides were retiring. Again, on the retreat down the hill he stopped and helped to carry a wounded Sepoy, the enemy being only 60 yards off and firing heavily all the time.
Additional information:. He commanded a Brigade during the Tirah campaign from 1897-98.
Brigadier-General Hammond was a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB) and also held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO).

Sergeant. 2nd Battalion, King's (Liverpool) Regiment.
Gazetted on 18th October, 1901.
V.C., Medal's Custodian is in the King's Regiment Collection. (Museum of Liverpool Life)
Born on 14th December 1870 at Richmond, Surrey.
Died on 4th February, 1920 at Richmond, Surrey.
Memorial on grave at Richmond Cemetery, Surrey.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 21st August, 1900 at Van Wyk's Vlei, South Africa, Sergeant Hampton, who was in command of a small party of Mounted Infantry, held an important position for some time against heavy odds, and when compelled to retire saw all his men into safety and then, although he himself had been wounded in the head, supported a lance-corporal who was unable to walk until the latter was hit again and apparently killed. Sergeant Hampton received another wound some time later.

Private. 9th Lancers (The Queen's Royal).
London Gazetted on 15th January 1858.
Born on in July 1823 at Kensington, London.
Died on 12th March 1871 at London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On th 19 June 1857 at Delhi, India during the mutiny, when a waggon of one of the batteries was blown up and the horse of a brigadier was shot, Private Hancock with another Private (see J. Purcell) and a sowar of the 4th Irregular Cavalry stayed with the officer until he could be dragged to safety by the sowar's horse. Private Hancock was severely wounded and the other private's horse was killed under him..

HANNA, Robert Hill
Company Sergeant-Major. 29th Battalion, British Columbia Regiment. Canadian Expeditionary Force.
Gazetted on 8th November, 1917.
Born on 6th August, 1887 at Kilkeel, County Down, Ireland.
Died on 15th June, 1967 at Mout Lehman, British Columbia, Canada.
Memorial on grave in the Masonic Cemetery, Burnaby, British Columbia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 21st September, 1917, at Lens, France, Company Sergeant-Major Hanna's company met with most severe enemy resistance at a heavily protected strong point, which had beaten off three assaults and all the officers of the company had become casualties. This warrant officer, under heavy machine-gun and rifle fire, coolly collected and led a party against the strong point, rushed through the wire and personally killed four of the enemy, capturing the position and silencing the machine-gun. This courageous action was responsible for the capture of a most important tactical point.
Additional information: Robert Hanna later was promoted to Lieutenant.


HANSEN, Percy Howard

HARDEN, Henry Eric

HARDHAM, William James
Farrier-Major. 4th New Zealand Contingent.
Gazetted on 4th October, 1901.
Born on 31st July, 1876 at Wellington, New Zealand.
Died on 13th April, 1928 at Wellington, New Zealand.
Memorial at Headquarters, Dunedin RSA, New Zealand.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 28th January, 1901 near Naaupoort, South Africa, Ferrier Major Hardham was with a section which was hotly engaged with a party of about 20 Boers. Just before the force started to retire, a Trooper was wounded and his horse killed. The Farrier Major at once went, under heavy fire, to his assistance, dismounted and put him on his own horse: and then ran alongside until he had guided the wounded man to a place of safety.

Gunner. Royal Navy.
Gazetted on 15th September, 1882.
Born on 21st October, 1833 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.
Died on 22nd May 1917 at Billingshurst, Sussex.
Memorial on grave at Highland Road Cemetery, Portsmouth.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 11th July, 1882 at Alexandria, Egypt, HMS Alexandra, with other ships, were bombarding at the Forts of the city and suffering damage and casualties from the enemy's guns. During the engagement a 10 inch shell passed through the ship's side and lodged on the main deck. Gunner Harding, hearing a shout that there was a live shell just a ball of the hatchway (leading to the magazine) rushed up from below, picked it up and flung it into a tub of water. Had the shell burst it would probably have caused many deaths.
Additional information:. Gunnar Harding was promoted to Chief Gunner and served in World War One (WWI) in minesweepers.

HARDY, Theodore Bailey
The Reverend (Chaplain 4th Class) Army Chaplains Department attached 8th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.
Gazetted on 11th July, 1918.
Born on 20th October, 1863 at Southernhay, Exeter.
Died on 18th October, 1918 and Rouen, France. (Died on of wounds)
Memorial at St Sever Cemetery Extension, France; in Carlisle Cathedral and in Hutton Roof Church, near Kirkby Lonsdale.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 5th, 25th and 27th April 1918 near Bucquoy, and east of Gommecourt, France, the Reverend Theodore Hardy showed most conspicuous bravery, tending the wounded under very heavy fire, absolutely regardless of his personal safety. Once he helped to bring in a wounded officer from 400 yards beyond the front line. Then, when an enemy shell exploded in one of our posts and several men were buried, he immediately went, under heavy fire, and managed to dig two of them out. On a third occasion he went out with a sergeant and brought in a wounded man who was lying within 10 yards of a German pillbox.
Additional information:. He was the son of George and Sarah Richardson Hardy, both of Exeter. His education was at the City of London School and London University.
On the 13th September, 1888, in Belfast, he married Florence Elizabeth Hastings, daughter of William Hastings, Civil Engineer, of Belfast. They had one son and one daughter.
The son William Hastings Hardy was Born on in 1892. He served in in the Eastern Mediterranean, during World War One, in the Royal Army Medical Corps attaining the rank of major. The daughter Mary Elizabeth Hardy served for two years with the Red Cross at Dunkirk.
In 1898 Theodore Hardy was ordained Deacon in the diocese of Southwell, being made Priest the following year. He was a master at Nottingham High School from 1891-1907. Whilst in the Nottingham area he was a curate of Burton Joyce-with-Bulcote (1898-1902), following this for five years with the curacy of St Augustine's, New Basford, Notts.
He was headmaster of Bentham Grammar-School until 1913. That year he accepted a 'living' at Hutton Roof, where he is remembered on a memorial.
In September 1917 he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and in October 1917 he was awarded the Military Cross (MC).

HARINGTON, Hastings Edward
Lieutenant. Bengal Artillery.
Gazetted on 24th December, 1858.
Born on 9th November, 1832 at Hinton Parva, Wiltshire.
Died on 20th July 1861 at Agra, India.
Monument on grave in cemetery at Agra, India.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the whole of the period 14th to 22nd November, 1857, at the relief of Lucknow India, Lieutenant Harington acted with conspicuous gallantry. (he was elected for the Victoria Cross by the Regiment).
Additional information:. Captain Harington was the son of the Reverend John Harington. At the age of 17 he was said to have entered Addiscombe College. In 1852 he joined the Bengal Artillery in Peshawar, India, as a Second Lieutenant.
He rushed to join his battery, serving under General Nicholson, in time to see action against the Sialkote rebels at Trimmoo Ghat, where he was wounded in the foot. He also served in the siege and assault of Delhi where he acted with great gallantry. His next attachment was to a mobile column under Colonel Greathead and was at the actions at Bolandshahr and Agra .
more to add.

HARLOCK, Ernest George. (See HORLOCK, Ernest George.).

HARMAN, John Pennington
Lance-Corporal. Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment.
London Gazetted on 22nd June 1944.
Born on 20th July, 1914 at Beckenham, Kent.
Died on 9th April 1944 at Kohima, Assam, India. (killed in action) .
Memorial on grave at Kohima War Cemetery, India and on Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 8th/9th April, 1944 at Kohima, India, Lance-Corporal Harman was commanding his section of a forward platoon where the enemy had established a machine-gun post within 50 yards of his company and were becoming a menace. As it was not possible to bring fire on to the enemy post the Lance-Corporal went forward by himself and threw a grenade into the position, annihilating it. Early next morning, having ordered covering fire from his Bren gun he went alone, with fixed bayonet and charged a party of Japanese who were digging in, shooting four and bayoneting one. On returning to his position he was fatally wounded.

HARPER, John William

HARRIS, Thomas James
Sergeant. Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment.
London Gazetted on 22nd October, 1918.
Born on 30th January 1892 at Halling, Kent.
Died on 9th August, 1918 at Morlancourt, France. (killed in action).
Memorial on grave at Dernancourt Communal Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th August, 1918 at Morlancourt, France, when the advance was much impeded by a hostile machine guns concealed in crops and shell holes, Sergeant Harris led his section against one of these, capturing it and killing seven of the enemy. Later, on two successive occasions he attacked two enemy machine-guns which were causing heavy casualties. He captured the first gun and killed the crew, then was himself killed when attacking the second. It was largely due to the great courage and initiative of this NCO that the advance of the Battalion continued without delay and undue casualties.
Additional information: Sergeant Harris had also been awarded the Military Medal (MM).

HARRISON, Arthur Leyland


Leading Seaman. Royal Navy (Naval Brigade).
London Gazetted on 24th December, 1858.
VC Medal's Custodian is the National Maritime Museum. (Greenwich).
Born on 24th January, 1832 at Castleborough, County Wexford,. Ireland.
Died on 27th December, 1865 in London.
He is buried in an unmarked grave in Brompton Cemetery, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th November 1857 at Lucknow, India, were called for to climb a tree near the wall of the Shah Nujeff mosque in order to spot the enemy's position and then to dislodge the mutineers who were throwing grenades and firing on the gun crews below. Leading Seaman Harrison, together with the Lieutenant * and an able seaman responded to the call and succeeded in performing this dangerous service, but the lieutenant was wounded in the thigh and the Able Seaman was killed.
* See N Salmon
Note. The Able Seaman, although taking part in the same action, was neither mentioned by name nor awarded the VC.
Additional information:. AB HARRISON later became a Boatswain's mate and Petty Officer. In the book
"Victoria Cross 1856-1920," it states that John Harrison Died on the 25th December 1865.

HART, Reginald Clare
Lieutenant Corps of Royal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 10th June, 1879.
Born on 11th June 1848 at Scarriff, County Clare, Ireland.
Died on 10th October 1931 at Bournemouth, Hampshire.
He is buried at Netherbury, Dorset.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 31st January, 1879 in the Bazar Valley, Afghanistan, Lieutenant Hart, while on convoy duty, ran some 1,200 yards to the rescue of a wounded sowar of the 13th Bengal Lancers, lying in a river bed exposed to the fire of the enemy on all sides. He reached the wounded man, drove off the enemy and with the help of some soldiers who accompanied him, carried the casualty to safety.
Additional information:. General Sir Reginald Hart was a Knight Grand Cross of the Bath (GCB); a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order and held the Royal Humane Society Silver Medal.
He was the General Officer Commanding the Thames District from 1902-06 at the same time being Commandant at the School of Military Engineers. From 1912-14 he was the Commander-in-Chief, South Africa following this by being Lieutenant Governor on Guernsey 1914-1918.

Pensioned Sergeant. 9th Lancers. (Queen's Royal).
London Gazetted on 19th June, 1860.
Born on in March 1826 at Drumlea, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Ireland.
Died on 29th October, 1886 at Calcutta, India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 8th June, 1857 at the Battle of Badle-ke-Serai, near Delhi, India, Pensioned Sergeant Hartigan went to the assistance of another sergeant who was wounded, dismounted and surrounded by the enemy, and at the risk of his own life, carried the casualty to safety. On 10th October at Agra, Sergeant Hartigan went to the assistance of another sergeant who was being attacked by four rebels. He seized a tulwar from one of them, hitting him in the mouth, then, defending himself from the other three, killed one and wounded two. He was himself dangerously wounded during this action.
Additional information:. He was later promoted to lieutenant.

HARTLEY, Edmund Barron
Surgeon Major. Cape Mounted Riflemen, South African Forces.
London Gazetted on 7th October, 1881.
Born on 6th May, 1847 at Ivybridge, Devon.
Died on 20th March, 1919 at Ash, Hampshire.
Memorial on grave at Brookwood Cemetery, Woking, Surrey.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 5th June, 1879, during the Basuto War in South Africa, Surgeon Major Hartley attended the wounded under fire at the unsuccessful attack at Morosi's Mountain. From an exposed position, on open ground, he carried in his arms a wounded corporal of the Cape Mounted Riflemen. The Surgeon Major then returned under severe enemy fire in order to address the wounds of the other men of the storming party.
Additional information:. Colonel Hartley was a Companion of St Michael and St George (CMG).

HARVEY, Francis John William
Major Royal Marine Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 15th September 1916
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Marine museum, Eastney Barracks, Southsea, Hants.
Born on 29th April 1873 at Sydenham, Surrey.
Died on 31st May 1916 at the Battle of Jutland.(killed in action.
Memorial at: Chatham Naval Memorial and Tribute at Royal Marine Museum. Southsea, Hants.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 31st May at the Battle of Jutland, Major Harvey of HMS Lion, although mortally wounded and almost the only survivor after the explosion of an enemy shell in a gunhouse, ordered the magazine to be flooded. His presence of mind saved the ship, but he Died on shortly afterwards.

HARVEY Frederick Maurice Watson
Lieutenant. Lord Strathcona's Horse, CEF.
London Gazetted on 8th June 1918
Born on 1st September 1888 at Athboy, Meath, Ireland.
Died on 24th August 1980 at Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Memorial Not known
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27 March 1917 at Guyencourt, France, during an attack by the regiment, the leading troop, commanded by Lieutenant Harvey, had suffered heavy casualties from rapid fire at close range. He was riding in front of his men when he came upon a wired trench containing a machine-gun and a strong garrison. He at once swung from his saddle and ran straight for the trench, jumped the wire, and shot the gunner and captured the gun.
Additional information: He also held the Military Cross.

Private, 1st/22nd Battalion The London Regiment. (The Queen's)
London Gazetted on 15th November 1918
Born on 24th August 1891 at Peckham, London.
Died on 15th August 1940 at Redhill, Surrey.
Memorials at Redstone Cemetery, Redhill, Surrey and on Stone Memorial at Redhill Town Hall.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 2 September 1918 north of Peronne, France, when the advance of his company was held up by machine-gun fire, Private Harvey dashed forward a distance of 50 yards alone, through our barrage and in the face of heavy enemy fire and rushed a machine-gun post, shhoting two of the team and bayoneting another. He then destroyed the gun and continued his way along the enemy trench . Single-handed he rushed an enemy dug-out which contained 37 Germans and compelled them to surrender. The two acts of gallantry saved the company heavy casualties and materially assisted in the success of the operation.
631139 Private Jack Harvey was Born on at 2, Curral Grove, the Old Kent Road, Peckham. He was the son of yard foreman W Harvey. He was Educated at Ruby Street School, Old Kent Road. He joined the 1st/22nd Battalion of the London Regiment (The Queen's) and served for three and a half years. He served on the Western Front in the European war (WW 1), seeing action at Loos and the Hairpin on 30th December 1915; involved in the raid near Bully Grenay on 9th July 1916; at High Wood on the 15th September 1916; at Butte-de-Morlencourt on 7th October, 1916; at Messines Ridge on 7th June 1917; at Bourlon Wood on 30th November, 1917. He was involved inthe resistance to the German offensive on 21st March 1918 and on 30th March 1918 at a Aveluy Wood; at Happy Valley on 30th March 1918; at Ardela Wood on 30th August 1918; at Bouchevnes (where he won his VC) on 2nd September 1918.
He was in the March through Lille on 20th October 1918. He served in the outpost line at Monstier on the 10th to 11th November, 1918.
In the Battalion Orders the following was written:
No. 631139 Jack Harvey 1st/22nd Battalion, London Regiment. For most conspicuous gallantry and disregard of personal danger on the 2nd September, 1918, during the advance north of Péronne. The advance of his company was held up by intense machine-gun fire; this man at once dashed forward a distance of 50 yards alone through our barrage and in the face of heavy enemy fire, and rushed a machine-gun post, shooting two of the team and bayoneting another. He then destroyed the gun, and continued to work his way along the enemy trench, and going forward alone for about 200 yards, single-handed rushed an enemy dug out, which contained 37 Germans, and compelled them to surrender. By these two acts of great gallantry he saved the company heavy casualties, and enabled the whole of the attacking line to advance. Throughout the entire operation he showed the most magnificent courage and determination, and by this splendid example he set to all ranks, materially assisted in the success of the operation. (This citation appeared in the London London Gazette 15th November 1918.
"The Commanding Officer heartily congratulates the recipient on his well deserved honour. The Army, Corps, Division and Brigade Commanders request that their congratulations to be conveyed to Private Jack Harvey."

HARVEY, Norman

HARVEY, Samuel
Private 1st Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment.
London Gazetted on 18th November 1915.
Born on: 17th September 1881 at Basford, Bulwell, Nottingham.
Died on: 22nd September 1960 at Onehouse, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
Memorial at: Old Cemetery, Ipswich, Suffolk.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 29 September 1915 in the 'Big Willie' Trench near the Hohenzollern Redoubt, France, during a heavy bombing attack, more bombs were urgently required and Private Harvey volunteered to fetch them. The communication trench was blocked with wounded and reinforcements and he went backwards and forwards across open ground under intense fire and succeeded in bringing up 30 boxes before he was wounded in the head. It was largely owing to his cool bravery in supplying the bombs that the enemy was eventually driven back.
Additional information: Private Harvey was transferred to the 3rd (HS) G Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers on the 7th of October 1916. His number being 31198.

HAVELOCK (later HAVELOCK-ALLAN), Henry Marsham (later Sir Henry.)
Lieutenant,(later Lieutenant-General) 10th Regiment (later The Lincolnshire Regiment.)
London Gazetted on 15th January 1858
Born on: 6th August 1830 at Chinsurah, Bengal, India.
Died on: 30th December 1897 at Rawalpindi, India.
Memorial: Rawalpindi, India.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16 July 1857 at Cawnpore, India, the 64th Regiment had suffered badly under Artillery fire. When the enemy was seen rallying their last 24 Pounder, the order was given to advance, and Lieutenant Havelock immediately placed himself, on his horse, in front of the centre of the 64th opposite the muzzle of the gun and moved on at a foot pace, in the face of shot and grape fired by the enemy. The advance went steadily on, led by the lieutenant and finally the gun was rushed and taken by the 64th.

HAWKER, Lanoe George


HAWTHORNE, Robert (reg No. 549).
Bugler. The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 27th April, 1858.
Born on in 1822 at Maghera, Londonderry, Ireland.
Died on 2nd February, 1879 at Manchester, Lancashire.
Memorial on grave at Ardwick Cemetery, Manchester.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 14th September, 1857 at Delhi, India, Bugler Hawthorne accompanied the explosion party * in the desperate task of blowing in the Kashmir Gate. He not only performed the dangerous duty on which he was employed, but under heavy musketry fire, bound up the wounds on one of the officers of the party, who had been badly hurt.
See also D .C. Home, P Salkeld and John Smith

HAYWARD, Reginald Frederick Johnson
Captain. 1st Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 24th April, 1918.
Born on 17th June, 1891 at Beersheba, East Griqualand, South Africa.
Died on 17th January 1978 in London.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 21st/22nd March, 1918 near Fremicourt, France, while commanding a company, Captain Hayward displayed almost superhuman powers of endurance. In spite of the fact that he was buried, wounded in the head and rendered deaf on the first day of operations and had his arm shattered two days later, he refused to leave his men, even though he received a third serious injury to his head, until he collapsed from sheer exhaustion. Throughout this period the enemy were attacking the company's front without cessation, but Captain Hayward continued to move across the open from one trench to another with absolute disregard for his own safety.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Colonel Hayward also held the Military Cross (MC) and Bar and the ED (not yet identified this Medal).
He served in World War Two as CRASC (Anti-Aircraft Command) and then as Commandant of Prisoner of War Camps from 1945-47.

HEAPHY, Charles
Major. Auckland Militia of the New Zealand Military Forces.
London Gazetted on 8th February 1867.
Born on in 1822 at St John's Wood, London.
Died on 3rd August, 1881 at Queensland, Australia.
Memorials on grave at Toowong Cemetery, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and at Dunedin RSA, New Zealand.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 11th February 1864 on the banks of the Mangapico River, New Zealand, Major Heaphy went to the assistance of a soldier who had fallen into a hollow where there were a great many Maoris concealed. While doing this, the Major became a target for a volley from only a few feet away. Five musket balls pierced his clothes and cap and he was hit in three places, but in spite of this he stayed with the wounded man all day.
Additional information:. He was the first soldier serving with the New Zealand Army to be awarded the Victoria Cross. At the time of the above skirmish, Major was in charge of a party of men from the 40th and 50th regiments, under the direct orders are Lieutenant Colonel Henry Marshman Havelock, Bart., CB.,VC., who was the senior officer in that area. He had move down to where the troops were most heavily engaged. (In the book, VC 1856-1920, It is believed that Major Heaphy Died on in 1898.).

HEATHCOTE, Alfred Spencer
Lieutenant. 60th Rifles (King's Royal Rifle Corps).
London Gazetted on 20th January, 1860.
Born on 29th March 1832 at London.
Died on 21st February 1912 at Bowral, New South Wales, Australia.
Memorial at St James' Anglican Church, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
From June to September 1857, throughout the siege of Delhi, India, during which he was wounded, Lieutenant Heathcote's conduct was most gallant. He volunteered for service of extreme danger, especially during the six days a severe fighting in the streets after the assault.
Additional information:. Captain Heathcote was elected for the Victoria Cross by the Regiment.
The book, VC 1856-1920, reports that he was Born on in Winchester.
His service began as an Ensign in the 60th Rifles, with the 2nd Battalion on 16th May, 1856. On 22nd June 1858 he became a lieutenant. He served in the Indian mutiny from 1857 to 1858, which included the actions on the Hindun, the Battle of Budli-re-Serai and the taking of the heights at Delhi.
Lord Roberts VC, in his book, "Forty-one Years in India," says, "I wished to be present, so attached myself, for the occasion, to a party of the 60th Rifles, under the command of Ensign Alfred Heathcote. As soon as the smoke of the explosion cleared away, the 60th, supported by the 4th Punjab Infantry, sprang through the gateway; but we did not get very far, for there was a second door beyond, chained and barred, which was with difficulty forced open, and the whole party rushed in."

HEATON, William Edward

Private. 15th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 8th June 1917.
Born on 20th October, 1880 at Durham.
Died on 26th April, 1939 at Durham.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 6th May, 1917 near Fontaine-les-Croiselles, France, a wounded man was seen, at about 2pm, in a shell hole some 40 yards from the enemy line. It was impossible to rescue him during daylight, but Private Heaviside volunteered to take water and food to him. This he succeeded in doing, in spite of heavy gunfire, and found that the man was nearly demented with thirst and had been lying in the shell-hole for four days and three nights. The arrival of the water undoubtedly saved his life. Private Heaviside succeeded the same evening, with the help of two comrades, in rescuing the man.

HEDGES, Frederick William
Lieutenant. Bedfordshire Regiment attached to 6th Battalion of Northamptonshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 31st January,
V.C. Medal's Custodian is the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regimental Museum.
Born on 6th June, 1896 at Umballa, India.
Died on 29th May 1954 at Harrogate in Yorkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 24th October 1918 North East of Bousies, France, Lieutenant Hedges led his company with great skill towards the final objective, maintaining direction under the most difficult conditions. When the advance was held up by enemy machine gun posts the lieutenant, accompanied by one sergeant and followed at some considerable distance by a Lewis gun section, again advanced, capturing six machine guns and 14 prisoners. His gallantry and initiative enabled the whole line to advance and contributed largely to the success of subsequent operations.
Additional information: During World War Two he saw service with the Civil Defence.

Captain. 4th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and attached to 2nd Battalion.
London Gazetted on 5th July 1917.
Born on 6th May, 1893 at Paisley, Scotland.
Died on 24th April, 1917 at Fontaine-les-Croiselles, France.
Buried in the British Cemetery at Cojeul, France.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 23rd April, 1917 near Fontaine-les-Croiselles, France, during an attack on enemy trenches, Captain Henderson, although almost immediately wounded in the left arm, led his company through the front enemy lines until he gained his final objective. He then proceeded to consolidate his position, which owing to heavy gun and machine-gun fire and bombing attacks was in danger of becoming isolated. By his cheerful courage and coolness he was able to maintain the spirit of his men under most trying circumstances. Captain Henderson was killed after her had successfully accomplished his task.
Additional information:. Captain Henderson also held the Military Cross (MC).

HENDERSON, Edward Elars Delaval
Lieutenant Colonel North Staffordshire Regiment attached and commanding 9th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 8th June 1917.
Born on 2nd October, 1878 at Simla, India.
Died on 25th January 1917 at the River Hai, near Kut, Mesopotamia. (Died on of wounds) .
Memorial on grave at War Cemetery,Amara, Iraq, also at Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, Staffs.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 25th January, 1917 on the West Bank of the River Hai, near Kut, Mesopotamia, Lieutenant Colonel Henderson brought his battalion up to the two first line trenches and they suffered heavy casualties when the enemy made a strong counter-attack, penetrating the line in several places. The situation was critical and Colonel Henderson, although wounded, jumped on to the Parapet and then advanced alone in front of his battalion, cheering them on under most intense fire over 500 yards of open ground. Again wounded, he nevertheless captured the position by a bayonet charge, but he was twice more wounded and Died on later the same day.
Additional information:. Lieutenant-Colonel Henderson was brought back to our own lines by Lieutenant R E Phillips VC and another comrade.

HENDERSON, George Stuart
Captain. 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment.
London Gazetted on 29th October 1920.
V.C., Medal's Custodian is in the King's Regiment Collection. (Museum of Liverpool Life)
Born on 5th December, 1893 at East Gordon, Berwickshire.
Died on 24th July, 1920 at Hillah, Mesopotamia (killed in action).
Memorials on Basra War Memorial, Iraq; on the War Memorial at Jedburgh, Scotland; the Military College, Sandhurst and Kelso High School, Dumfries.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 24th July, 1920 near Hillah, Mesopotamia, Captain Henderson led his company in three charges against the enemy who had opened fire from the flank. At one time when the situation was extremely critical the captain, by sheer pluck and coolness, steadied on his command and prevented his company from being cut up. During the second charge he fell wounded but refused to leave his command and just as the company reached the trench, he was again wounded, this time a mortally.
Additional information: Captain Henderson also holds the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and Bar and the Military Cross (MC).

HENDERSON, Herbert Stephen

HENEAGE, Clement Walker
Captain. 8th Hussars (King's Royal Irish).
London Gazetted on 26th January, 1859.
Born on 6th March 1831 at Compton Bassett, Wiltshire.
Died on 9th December, 1901 at Compton Bassett, Wiltshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 17th June 1858 at Gwalior, India, Captain Heneage along with a a sergeant,*a farrier* and a private* was in a gallant charge made by a squadron of the 8th Hussars when, supported by a division of the Bombay Horse Artillery and the 95th Regiment, they routed the enemy. Charging through a rebel camp into two batteries, they captured and brought into their own camp two of the enemy's guns, under heavy and converging fire from the fort and the town.
* Joseph Ward, George Hollis and John Pearson.
Additional information:. Captain Heneage also took part in the Charge Of the Light Brigade.

HENRY, Andrew
Sergeant-Major. Royal Regiment of Artillery.
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
Born on 1st November, 1823 at Woolwich, London.
Died on 14th October 1870 at Plymouth, Devon.
Memorial on grave at Ford Park Cemetery, Plymouth.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 5th November, 1854 at the Battle of Inkerman, Crimea, Sergeant Major Henry defended the guns of his battery against overwhelming numbers of the enemy, and continued to do so until he had received 12 bayonet wounds and became unconscious.
Additional information:. He attained a rank of Captain.

HERRING, Alfred Cecil
Second Lieutenant. Royal Army Service Corps attached 6th (Service) Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 7th June 1918.
Born on 26th October, 1888 at Tottenham, Middlesex.
Died on 10th August, 1966 at Weybridge, Surrey.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd/24th March, 1918 at Montagne Bridge, France, the enemy had gained a position on the South Bank of the canal and Second Lieutenant Herring's post was surrounded, but he immediately counter-attacked and recaptured the position, together with 20 prisoners and six machine-guns. During the night the post was continually attacked, but all attacks were beaten off, largely due to the fact that a Lieutenant Herring was frequently visiting his men and cheering them up. It was owing to his bravery and magnificent handling of his troops that the enemy advance was held up for 11 hours at a very critical period.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Herring attained the rank of Major.

HEWETT, William Nathan Wrighte
Lieutenant (later Vice-Admiral) Royal Navy (Naval Brigade)
London Gazetted on 24th February 1857.
VC Medal's Custodian is the National Maritime Museum. (Greenwich).
Born on 2nd August 1834 at Brighton, Sussex.
Died on 13th May 1888 at Southsea, Hampshire.
Memorial on grave at Highland Road Cemetery, Portsmouth.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 26th October 1854 at Sebastopol, Crimea, Lieutenant Hewett, commander of HMS Beagle, was in charge of the Right Lancaster Battery which was being threatened by the enemy, when through a misunderstanding he was ordered to spike his gun and retreat. The Lieutenant, however, took on himself the responsibility of disregarding the order. He then pulled down the parapet of the battery and with the assistance of some soldiers slewed his gun round and poured on the advancing enemy a most destructive and effectual fire. On 5th November at the Battle of Inkerman he again acted wqith great bravery.
Additional information: William (Bully) Hewett was the son of Dr William Wrighte Hewett and Susan Moore (daughter of Dr. John Maddy) He joined the Royal Navy on the 26th March 1847, serving as a midshipman in the Burmese War 1851 and also in the Naval Brigade and China for which he got the Burmese and China medal. He was serving on the HMS Beagle, a gun vessel, as acting Mate when he was attached to the Naval Brigade. It was at this time that he was cited for the VC. He was promoted to Lieutenant with effect from this date, 26th October 1854, and was given command of HMS Beagle.* and served in the actions Kertch, Yenikale and the Sea of Azov.
Kingslake described how Hewett and Shrard OsBorn on completed the destruction and obtained control of the Arabit Spit. More to be added.

Lance-Corporal. 1st/4th Battalion, King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment.
London Gazetted on 28th June, 1918.
Born on 15th October 1892 at Coniston, Lancashire.
Died on 2nd March, 1963 at Ulverston, Lancashire.
Memorial on grave at Coniston Churchyard, Lancashire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 26th April, 1918 at Givenchy, France, in a daylight attack on a series of crater posts, Lance-Corporal Hewitson led his party to their objective, clearing the enemy from both trench and dug outs, killing six who would not surrender. After capturing the final objective he saw a hostile machine gun team coming into action against his men and working your way round the edge of the crater he attacked the team, killing four and capturing one. Shortly afterwards he routed the bombing party which was attacking a Lewis gun, killing six of them.
Additional information:. He attained the rank of corporal.

HEWITT, Dennis George Wyldebore
Second Lieutenant. 14th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 14th September, 1917.
Born on 18th December, 1897 at Mayfair, London.
Died on 31st July, 1917 near Ypres, Belgium. (killed in action).
Memorial on Menin Gate Memorial, Belgium.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 31st July, 1917 north-east of Ypres, Belgium, when his first objective had been captured, Second Lieutenant Hewitt reorganised his company and moved forward. Whilst waiting for the barrage to lift, he was hit by a piece of shell which exploded the signal lights in his haversack, and set fire to his equipment and clothes. He extinguished the flames and then, in spite of his wounds and severe pain, he led forward the remnants of the company under a very heavy machine-gun fire and captured and consolidated his objective. He was subsequently killed by a sniper while inspecting that the consolidation and encouraging hishis men.

HEWITT, William Henry
Lance-Corporal. 2nd South African Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 26th November, 1917.
Born on 19th June, 1884 at Copdock, Suffolk.
Died on 7th December 1966 at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 20th September, 1917 east of Ypres, Belgium, Lance-Corporal Hewitt attacked the pill-box with his section and tried to rush the doorway. The garrison, however, proved very stubborn and in the attempt the Lance-Corporal received a severe wound. Nevertheless he proceeded to the loophole of the pill-box where, in his attempts to put a bomb in it, he was again wounded in the arm. Undeterred, he finally managed to get the bomb inside where it dislodged the occupants and they were successfully dealt with by the rest of the section.
Additional information:. He attained the rank of major.

HILL*, Alan Richard
Lieutenant. 2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 14th March 1882.
Born on 12th July, 1859 at Northallerton, Yorkshire.
Died on 21st April, 1944 at Thirsk, Yorkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 28th January, 1881 at Laing's Nek, South Africa, when the retreat was ordered, Lieutenant Hill remained behind and tried to carry out of action another Lieutenant who was lying on the ground severely wounded. He was unable to lift the man into the saddle and carried him in his arms until he was shot dead. Lieutenant Hill then brought another wounded man out of action on his horse and afterwards returned and rescued another. All this was done under very heavy fire.
* Changed name to HILL-WALKER.
Additional information: He attained the rank of major.

HILL, Albert

HILL, Samuel
Sergeant. 90th Regiment (Cameronians........ Scottish Rifles).
London Gazetted on 24th December, 1858.
Born in 1826 (date unknown) at Glenavy, County Antrim, Ireland.
Died on 21st February, 1863 at Meerut, India.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th/17th November, 1857 at Lucknow, India, Sergeant Hill went with a major * to save the life of a captain at the storming of the Secundra Bagh and also went in under heavy fire to help two wounded men. In fact he acted with gallantry throughout the operations for the relief of the Lucknow Garrison.
* Both Major John Guise and Sergeant Hill were elected by the Regiment for the VC.

HILLS, James
Second Lieutenant. Bengal Horse Artillery.
London Gazetted on 24th April, 1858.
Born on 20th August, 1833 at Neechindipur, Bengal.
Died on3rd January, 1919 at Dolaucothy, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Memorial on grave at Caio Churchyard, Carmarthen and at St George Royal Garrison Church, Woolwich.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th July 1857, at the Siege of Delhi, India, Second Lieutenant Hills most gallantly defended the position assigned to him when attacked by enemy cavalry. Single-handed he charged the head of the enemy's column and fought fiercely: continuing on foot after he and his horse had been ridden down. He was about to be killed with his own sword which one of the enemy had wrested from him, when his senior officer * saw what was happening and twice in a short space of time came to a rescue of his subaltern.
* H Tombs
Additional information:. Lieutenant General Sir James Hills-Johnes (changed name) was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Bath (GCB).
He became the Honorary Colonel of the 4th Battalion, Welch Regiment: the chairman of Carmarthen County Association Territorial Forces and Joint Counties Association. He also became a Deputy Lieutenant of the County of Carmarthen.
Lieutenant W G Cubitt VC was his brother-in-law.

Able Seaman. Royal Navy (Naval Brigade).
London Gazetted on 6th February, 1863.
Born on 22nd June, 1819 at Liverpool, Lancashire.
Died on 31st December, 1904 at Plymouth, Devon.
Memorial on grave at Ford Park Cemetery, Plymouth, Devon.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 9th October, 1862 at Fung Wha, China, Able Seaman Hinckley of HMS Sphinx, volunteered to go to the rescue of the Assistant Master of Sphinx, who was lying in the open severely wounded. The able Seaman went out under heavy and continuous fire and carried the assistant master to the shelter of a joss- house 150 yards away. He then returned and carried a wounded army captain to safety.
Additional information:. George Hinckley attained the rank of Quartermaster..

HINTON, John Daniel
Sergeant. 20th Battalion, 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force (Canterbury Regiment).
London Gazetted on 17th October, 1941.
Born on 17th September, 1908 at Colac Bay, near Riverton, Southland, New Zealand.
Memorial at Dunedin RSA headquarters.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 20th/29th April, 1941 at Kalamai, Greece, New Zealand troops heading for the port to await evacuation were attacked by enemy machine-gun fire and self-propelled six-inch guns. Although the order to retire had been given, Sergeant Hinton rushed forward to the nearest gun and, hurling two grenades, killed the crew. He continued towards the quay, and clearing out two light machine guns and a mortar with grenades, then dealt with a garrison of a house where some of the enemy were sheltering. Later, when they were attacked by the main enemy force, Sergeant Hinton was only subdued and captured after being severely wounded.

HIRSCH, David Philip
Captain. 4th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment. (Princess Alexandra of Wales' Own).
London Gazetted on 14th June 1917.
Born on 28th December 1896 at Leeds, Yorkshire.
Died on 23rd April, 1917 at a Wancourt, France.
Memorial on Arras Memorial, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 23rd April, 1917 near Wancourt, France, during an attack, Captain Hirsch having arrived at the first objective, although wounded, returned over fire-swept slopes to satisfy himself that the defensive flank was being established. Machine-gun fire was so intense that it was necessary for him to be continuously up and down the line encouraging and steadying his men. He stood on the parapet, in the face of machine-gun fire and counter-attacked, until he was killed.

HITCH, Frederick

HOBSON, Frederick
Sergeant. 20th Battalion, 1st Central Ontario Regiment, Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 17th October, 1917.
Born on 23rd September, 1873 at London.
Died on 18th August, 1917 near Lens, France. (Killed in action).
Memorial on a Vimy Memorial, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 18th August, 1917 North-West of Lens, France during a strong enemy counter attack the Lewis gun in a forward position was buried by a shell and the crew, with the exception of a one man, killed. Sergeant Hobson, although not a Gunner, grasping the great importance of the post, rushed from his trench, dug out the gun and got it into action. The gun then jammed and so Sergeant Hobson rushed forward at the advancing enemy with bayonet and clubbed rifle, holding them back until he himself was killed by a rifle shot.

HODGE, Samuel
Private. 4th West India Regiment.
London Gazetted on 4th January, 1867.
Born in 1840 (date unknown) at Tortola, Virgin Islands, West Indies.
Died on 14th January, 1868 at Belize, Honduras.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 30th June, 1866 at Tubabecelong, near the River Gambia, West Africa, at a storming and capture of the stockaded town. Private Hodge and another man, who was afterwards killed, volunteered to hew down the stockade. After the Colonel had effected an entrance Private Hodge followed him through the town, opening with his axe two barricaded gates and so allowing the support troops to enter. On reaching the other side of the town Private Hodge was acclaimed as the bravest man in the Regiment, but he was very severely wounded

HOEY, Charles Ferguson
Major. 1st Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 18th May, 1944.
Born on 29th March 1914 at Duncan, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
Died on 17th February, 1944 at Ngakyedauk, Arakan, Burma. (died of wounds).
Memorials at the Taukkyan War Cemetery, Burma, also on the War Memorial , Cowichigan, Vancouver, Canada and in the Soldier's Chapel of St George, Lincoln Cathedral, Lincolnshire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th February, 1944 near the Ngakyedauk Pass, Arakan, Burma, Major Hoey's company came under devastating machine-gun fire, but Major Hoey did not waver in his advance on the objective. Although wounded in the head and leg he went forward alone and tackled a troublesome enemy strong point, destroying it and killing all the occupants, but he was mortally wounded.

Sergeant. 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment.
London Gazetted on 22nd December, 1914.
Born on 8th April, 1884 at Oldham, Lancashire.
Died on 6th October, 1943 at Oldham, Lancashire.
Memorial on grave at Chadderton cemetery, Oldham, Lancashire.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 29th October, 1914 near Festubert, France, after their trench had been taken by the enemy and two attempts to recapture it had failed, Sergeant Hogan went with a second lieutenant * and a party of 10 volunteers to recover it themselves. They took the Germans by surprise with a sudden bayonet attack and then, working from traverse to traverse, they gradually succeeded in regaining possession, killing eight of the enemy, wounding two and taking 16 prisoners.
* J Leach

HOLBROOK, Norman Douglas
Lieutenant. Royal Navy.
London Gazetted on 22nd December, 1914.
Born on 9th July 1888 at Southsea, Hampshire.
Died on 3rd July 1976 at Midhurst, Sussex.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 13th December, 1914 in the Dardanelles, Lieutenant Holbrook was in command of the submarine B.11, an old and obsolete craft built in 1905. Notwithstanding the difficulties of treacherous currents in the Straits, he dived under five rows of mines and torpedoed and sank the Turkish battleship, Messudiyeh, which was guarding the mine-field. He then succeeded in bringing the B.11 back to the Mediterranean, in spite of being attacked by gunfire and torpedo boats. When they got back to safety the B.11 had been submerged for nine hours.
Additional information:. Commander Holbrook served at the Admiralty during World War II.

HOLLAND, Edward James Gibson
Sergeant. Royal Canadian Dragoons.
London Gazetted on 23rd April, 1901.
Born on 2nd February 1878 at Ottawa, Canada.
Died on 18th June, 1948 at Cobalt, Ottawa, Canada.
After his cremation his ashes were scattered on Island 17, LakeTemagami, Ontario, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 7th November 1900 in South Africa, Sergeant Holland kept the Boers away from two 12 pounder guns with his Colt gun. When he saw that the enemy were too near for him to escape with the carriage, as the horse was blown, he calmly lifted the gun off and galloped away with it under his arm.
Additional information:. He attained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.

HOLLAND, John Vincent
Lieutenant. 3rd Battalion, Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment attached to 7th Battalion.
London Gazetted on 26th October, 1916.
Born on 19th July, 1889 at Athy, County Kildare, Ireland.
Died on 27th February, 1975 at Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
Memorial on grave at Cornelian Bay Cemetery, Hobart, Tasmania.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 3rd September, 1916 at Guillemont, France, during a heavy engagement, Lieutenant HOLLAND, not content with building hostile dug-outs within the objective, fearlessly led his bombers through our own Artillery barrage and cleared a great part of the village in front. He started out with 26 bombers and finished with only five after capturing some 50 prisoners. By this gallant action he undoubtedly broke the spirit of the enemy and saved many casualties. He was far from well at the time and later had to go into hospital.

HOLLIS, George
Farrier. 8th Hussars (King's Royal Irish).
London Gazetted on 26th January 1869.
Born in October 1833 at Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire.
Died on 16th May, 1879 at St Thomas, Devon.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 17th June, 1858 at Gawlior, India, Farrier Hollis, together with three others *, was in a gallant charge made by a squadron of the 8th Hussars when, supported by a division of the Bombay Horse Artillery and the 95th Regiment, they routed the enemy. Charging through a rebel camp into two batteries, they captured and brought into their own camp two of the enemy's guns, under a heavy and converging fire from the fort and town.
* See C.W. Heneage, J. Pearson and J. Ward

HOLLIS, Stanley Elton
Company Sergeant-Major. 6th Battalion, Green Howards ( Princess Alexandra of Wales' Own).
London Gazetted on 17th August, 1944.
Born 21st September, 1912 at Middlesbrough, Yorkshire.
Died on 8th of February 1972 at Middlesbrough, Yorkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 6th June 1944 in Normandy, France, Company Sergeant-Major Hollis went with his company Commander to investigate two German pill-boxes which had been bypassed as the company moved inland from the beaches. He rushed forward to the first pill-box, taking all but five of the occupants prisoner and then dealt with the second, taking 26 prisoners. Throughout the day, wherever the fighting was heaviest he appeared, displaying the utmost gallantry. It was through his heroism and resource that the company's objective were gained and casualties were not heavier. He saved the lives of many of his men.
Additional information:. Company Sergeant-Major Hollis was the only person to be decorated with the Victoria Cross on 6th June 1944, the D-Day landings.

Private. 78th Regiment (Seaforth Highlanders..... Duke of Albany's Ross-shire Buffs)
London Gazetted on 18th June 1858.
Born in 1823 at Lambeth, London.
Died on 4th April, 1876 at Holborn, London.
Memorial on grave at Brookwood Cemetery, Woking, Surrey.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 26th October, 1857 at Lucknow, India, Private Hollowell was one of a party which were shut up and besieged in one of the houses. He behaved throughout the day in a most admirable manner, encouraging the other nine men, who were in low spirits, to keep going. His cheerful persuasion prevailed and they made a successful defence in a burning house with the enemy firing through the four windows.
* Could be HOLLIWELL.

HOLMES, Frederick William


HOLMES, Thomas William
Private. 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles, 2nd Central Ontario Regiment, Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 11th January 1918.
Born on 14th October, 1898 at Montreal, Canada.
Died on 4th January, 1950 at Toronto, Canada.
Memorial on grave at Greenwood Cemetery, Owen Sound, and in the Queen's Park, Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 26th October, 1917 near Passchenaele, Belgium, when the right flank of our attack was held up by heavy machine-gun fire from a pill-box strong point and heavy casualties were producing a critical situation, Private Holmes, on his own initiative and single-handed, ran forward and threw two bombs, killing and wounding the crews of two machine-guns. He then fetched another bomb and threw this into the entrance of the pill-box, causing the 19 occupants to surrender.

HOLMES William Edgar

HOME, Anthony Dickson
Surgeon. 90th Regiment. (Cameronians, Scottish Rifles).
London Gazetted on 18th June, 1858.
Born on 30th November, 1826 at Dunbar, Scotlan
Died on 10th August, 1914 at London.
Memorial on grave at Highgate Cemetery, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 26th September, 1857 at Lucknow, India, Surgeon Home was in charge of the wounded men left behind when the troops forced their way into the Residency. The escort left with the wounded had been reduced, by casualties, to a small party, who with the wounded, were forced into a house which they defended until it was set on fire. They then retreated into a shed nearby and defended this for more than 22 hours until relieved. At last only six men with Surgeon Home in charge, remained to fire, and the fact that the wounded were safe and the defence was successful was mainly attributable to his brave conduct throughout.
* Also awarded the Victoria Cross, on this occasion, was Assistant Surgeon W. BRADSHAW
Additional information: Surgeon-General Sir Anthony Home was made a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB)

HOME, Duncan Charles
Lieutenant. Bengal Engineers.
London Gazetted on 18th June 1858.
Born on 10th June, 1828 at Jubbulpore, India.
Died on 1st October, 1857 at Malagarh, India.
Memorial on his Tomb at Bolandshahr, India, at the Kashmir Gate, Delhi and in St Paul's Cathedral, Calcutta, India.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 14th September, 1857 at Delhi, India, Lieutenant Home, with another Lieutenant, a Sergeant and a Bugler * showed conspicuous gallantry in the desperate task of blowing in the Kashmir Gate in broad daylight under heavy and destructive musket fire, preparatory to the assault.
The three others involved were R. Hawthorne, P. Salkeld and J Smith (reg No. 1164).

HONEY, Samuel Lewis
Lieutenant. 78th Battalion, Manitoba Regiment *. Canadian Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 6th January 1919.
Born on 9th February, 1894 at Conn, Wellington County, Ontario, Canada.
Died on 30th September, 1918 at Bourlon Wood, France. (died of wounds).
Memorial at the British extension of Queant Communal Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:.
On 27th September, 1918 at Bourlon Wood, France, when his company Commander and all the other officers of his company became casualties, Lieutenant Honey took command, continuing the advance and gaining the objective. Then, finding his company suffering casualties from enfilade machine-gun fire he made a personal reconnaissance and locating the machine-gun nest, rushed it single-handed, capturing the guns and 10 prisoners. Later, after repelling four enemy counter-attacks, he captured another machine-gun post. He continued to lead his company with great initiative and daring, but died of his wounds on the last day of the attack by his battalion.
* Winnipeg Grenadiers.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Honey also held the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and the Military Medal (MM).

HOOK, Alfred Henry

HOPE, William
Lieutenant. 7th Regiment. Royal Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 5th May 1857.
Born on 12th April, 1834 at Edinburgh.
Died on 17th December, 1909 at Chelsea, London.
Memorial on grave in the family plot at Brompton Cemetery, London.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 18th June, 1855 at Sebastopol, Crimea, Lieutenant Hope went to the assistance of the Adjutant, who was lying outside the trenches badly wounded. Having found that it was impossible to move him, even with the help of four men, he ran back across the open ground under very heavy fire from the enemy batteries, and procured a stretcher to bring the wounded officer in.

For HORE-RUTHVEN see RUTHVEN Alexander Gore Arkwright HORE-

HORLOCK (Or Harlock) Ernest George


HORNELL, David Ernest

HORSFALL, Basil Arthur
Second Lieutenant. 3rd Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment attached to 11th Battalion.
London Gazetted on 22nd May, 1918.
Born on 4th October 1887 at Colombo, Ceylon. (Srlanka).
Died on 27th March, 1918 near Ablainzeville, France. (killed in action).
Memorial on Arras Memorial, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 27th March 1918 between Moyenville and Ablainzeville, France, when the enemy first attacked Second Lieutenant Horsfall's centre platoon, his three forward sections were driven back and he was wounded in the head. Nevertheless he immediately reorganised the remainder of his men and made a counter-attack which recovered his original position. Despite the severity of his wound, he refused to go to the dressing station, as the three remaining officers in his company were casualties. Later, he made a second successful counter-attack but when finally ordered to withdraw, he was the last to leave the position. He was killed almost immediately afterwards.

HORWOOD, Alec George
Lieutenant. 1st/6th Battalion, Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) attached to 1st Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 30th March, 1944.
Born on 6th January, 1914 at Deptford, London.
Died on 20th January, 1944 at Kyauchaw, Burma. (died of wounds).
Memorial at the Rangoon Memorial.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 18th January, 1944 at Kyauchaw, Burma, Lieutenant Horwood accompanied a company into action with his forward Mortar observation post. Throughout the day he was in an exposed position and under intense fire, but he came back at night with most valuable information about the enemy. On 19 January he moved forward and established another observation post, directing accurate mortar fire in support of two attacks, and also carrying out personal reconnaissance, deliberately drawing the enemy fire so that their position could be definitely located. On 20th January he volunteered to lead the attack and while doing so was mortally wounded.
Additional information:. Lieutenant Horwood also held the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM).

HOUSE, William
Private. 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment (Princess Charlotte of Wales's).
London Gazetted on 7th October 1902.
Born on 7th October, 1879 at Thatcham, Newbury, Berkshire.
Died on 28th February, 1912 at Dover, Kent.
Memorial on grave at St James' Cemetery, Dover.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 2nd August, 1900 at Mosilikatse Nek, South Africa, when a sergeant who had gone forward to reconnoitre was wounded, Private House rushed out from cover, although cautioned not to do so as the fire from the enemy was very hot, picked up the wounded sergeant and tried to bring him into shelter. In doing this he was severely wounded, but he warned his comrades not to come to his assistance as the fire was so heavy.

HOWELL, George Julian
Corporal. 1st Battalion (New South Wales) Australian Imperial Force.
London Gazetted on 27th June 1917.
Born on 23rd November, 1893 at Enfield, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Died on 23rd December, 1964 at Perth, Western Australia.
Memorials at Karrakatta Cemetery, Hollywood, Perth and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 6th May 1917, near Bullecourt, France, seeing that a party of the enemy were likely to outflank his battalion, Corporal Howell, on his own initiative and exposed to heavy bomb and rifle fire, climbed to the top of the Parapet and bombed the enemy, pressing them back along the trench. When his stock a bombs were exhausted, he continued the attack with his bayonet, but was then severely wounded. This prompt and gallant action was seen by the whole battalion and inspired them in the subsequent successful counter-attack.
Additional information:. Staff Sergeant Howell also held the Military Medal (MM).

HOWSE, Neville Reginald
Captain. New South Wales Medical Staff Corps, Australian Forces.
London Gazetted on 4th June 1901.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Born on 26th October, 1863 at Stogursey, Somerset.
Died on 19th September, 1930 at London.
Memorial on grave at Kensal Green Cemetery, London and on the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 24th July 1900 during the action at Vredefort, South Africa, Captain Howse saw a trumpeter fall and went through very heavy crossfire to rescue the man. His horse was soon shot from under him and the captain continued on foot, reached the casualty and dressed his wound. He then carried him to safety.
Additional information:. Sir Neville Howse was a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB) and a Knight Commander of St Michael and St George (KCMG) as well as being a Knight of the Order of St John .
He was the first person serving with Australian forces to receive the Victoria Cross. He also saw service in World War One (WWI). 1927-28 he was Minister of Defence and Health, whilst at the same time from 1925-29 he was Minister for Health and Repatriation for the Australian Commonwealth. In 1928 he was Minister for Home and Territories.

HUDSON, Charles Edward
Lieutenant Colonel Commanding the 11th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters.
London Gazetted on 11th July, 1918.
Born on 29th May, 1892 at Derby.
Died on 4th April 1959 on the Scilly Isles.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 15th June, 1918 near Asiago, Italy, during an attack when the enemy had penetrated our front line, Lieutenant Colonel Hudson collected and personally led various headquarter details such as orderlies, servants, runners, etc. to deal with the situation. He rushed a position with only two men, shouting to the enemy to surrender, some of whom did. He was severely wounded by a bomb which exploded on his foot and although in great pain gave directions for the counter-attack which was successful, about 100 prisoners and six machine guns being taken.
Additional information:. Major General Hudson was a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB), held the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and Bar, and the Military Cross (MC). In addition he was decorated with the Croix de Guerre of France and the Italian Silver Medal for Valour.
From 1933-37 he was Chief Instructor at the Royal Military College. He commanded the 2nd Infantry Brigade in 1938. From 1949-54 he was the County Commissioner of the St Johns Ambulance Brigade. He also became Deputy Lieutenant of the County of Devon.

HUFFAM, James Palmer
Second Lieutenant. 5th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment.
London Gazetted on 26th December, 1918.
Born on 31st March, 1897 at Dunblane, Perthshire, Scotland.
Died on 16th February, 1968 at Stanmore, Middlesex.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 31st August, 1918 at St Servin's Farm, France, Second Lieutenant Huffam with three men rushed an enemy machine-gun post and put it out of action. His position was then heavily attacked and he withdrew, carrying back a wounded comrade. Again in the night, accompanied by two men only he rushed an enemy machine gun, capturing eight prisoners and enabling the advance to continue.
Additional information:. Major Huffam saw service in World War Two (WW II). He was the Assistant Provost Marshall in France in 1940.

HUGHES, Matthew
Private. 7th Regiment. (Royal Fusiliers).
London Gazetted on 24th February, 1857.
Born in 1822 at Bradford, Yorkshire.
Died on 9th January 1882 at Bradford, Yorkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 7th June, 1855 in the Crimea, at the storming of the Quarries, Private HUGHES went twice for ammunition across open ground, under heavy fire. He also went to the front and brought in a soldier who was severely wounded. On 18th June the volunteered to bring in a badly wounded lieutenant, and in doing so was severely wounded himself.
Additional information:. Matthew Hughes attained the rank of Corporal.

HUGHES, Thomas
Private. 6th Battalion, Connaught Rangers.
London Gazetted on 26th October, 1916.
Born on 30th May 1885 at Coravoo, near Castleblaney, County Monaghan, Ireland.
Died on 8th January, 1942 near Carrickmacross, Ireland.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 3rd September, 1916 at Guillemont, France, Private HUGHES was wounded in an attack but returned at once to the firing line after having his wound dressed. Later, seeing a hostile machine gun, he dashed out in front of his company, shot the gunner and, single-handed, captured the gun. Though again wounded, he brought back three or four prisoners.
Additional information:. He attained the rank of corporal.

HULL, Charles
Private. 21st Lancers. (Empress of India's).
London Gazetted on 3rd March, 1916.
Born on 24th July, 1890 at Harrogate, Yorkshire.
Died on 30th February 1953 at Leeds, Yorkshire.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 5th September, 1915 at Haviz Kor, North West Frontier, India, Private Hull rescued an officer from certain death at the hands of the tribesmen. The latter's horse had been shot and Private Hull took the officer up behind on his own horse, under heavy fire at close range, and galloped away to safety.

HULME, Alfred Clive
Sergeant. 23rd Battalion, 2nd (Canterbury Regiment) New Zealand Expeditionary Force.
London Gazetted on 14th October, 1941.
Born on 24th January, 1911 at Dunedin, New Zealand.
Died on 3rd September, 1982 at Tauranga, New Zealand.
Memorial at the RSA, Dunedin, New Zealand.
Digest of Citation reads:
During the period 20th/28th May, 1941 in Crete, Sergeant Hulme displayed outstanding leadership and courage. At Malerne he led a party against the enemy who were attacking with rifles, machine guns and mortars. At Galatos he drove the enemy away from a school building with hand-grenades. At Suda Bay he killed five snipers and at Stylos he wiped out a mortar crew and accounted for three more snipers.


HUNTER, David Ferguson
Corporal. 1st/5th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry.
London Gazetted on 23rd October, 1918.
Born on 28th October, 1891 at Kingseat, Dunfermline, Scotland.
Died on 14th February, 1965 at Dunfermline, Scotland.
Memorial not known.
Citation reads on 16th/17th September, 1918 at Moeuvres France, Corporal Hunter was detailed to take on an advance post which was established in shell holes close to the enemy. There was no opportunity for reconnoitring the adjacent ground, and the following afternoon Corporal Hunter found that the enemy had established posts all round him, isolating his command. He determined to hold out and despite being exceedingly short of food and water this NCO managed to maintain his position for over 48 hours until, on the third day, a counter-attack relieved him. He repelled frequent enemy attacks and also barrage from our own attacks, which came right across his post.

HUNTER, Thomas Peck
Corporal. 43rd Royal Marine Commando..
London Gazetted on 12th June 1945.
VC Medal's Custodian is the Royal Marine museum, Eastney Barracks, Southsea, Hants.
Born on 6th October 1923 at Aldershot, Hampshire.
Died on 2nd April 1945 at Lake Comacchio, Italy. (Killed in action).
Memorial at grave in Argenta Gap War Cemetery, Italy and a ship's bell and plaque at Lympstone Royal Marine Depot. (1946). Eight houses at Stenhouse Street West were dedicated to his memory in March 1954.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 2nd April, 1945 at Lake Comacchio, Italy, Corporal Hunter, who was in charge of a Bren gun section, offered himself as a target to save his troop. Seizing the Bren gun he charged alone across 200 yards of open ground under most intense fire towards a group of houses where three Spandau machine guns were lodged. So determined was his charge that the enemy were demoralised and six of the Gunners surrendered, the remainder fled. He cleared the house, changing magazines as he ran and continued to draw the enemy fire until most of the Troop had reached cover and he was killed, firing accurately to the last.
Additional information:. He was the son of Ramsey and Mary Hunter. His father had been a regular soldier and on leaving the service became a civil servant. The family moved to Stenhouse, Edinburgh where, until the age of 14: Thomas was educated atTynecastle Intermediate School. He became an apprentice stationer studying its skills at St Leonard's in the evenings. He studied French at the Royal High School.
At the outbreak of war he served for 18 months in the Home Guard. On 8th May 1942 he was called up for military service. On 23rd June 1942 he enlisted in the Royal Marines as a "Hostilities Only "* Marine.
At a Private Investiture at Holyrood House, Edinburgh, Corporal Hunter's parents were presented with his Victoria Cross on the 26th September, 1945.
In 1975, apart from the 1939-45 Star, Italy Star and the 1939-45 War Medal, it was proved he was entitled to the British Defence Medal.
*Not quite sure what this means. Possibly the duration of the War.

HUTCHESON, Bellenden Seymour
Captain Canadian Army Medical Corps attchd to the 75th Battn. Central Ontario Regiment. CEF.
London Gazetted 14th December 1918
Born on: 16th December 1883 at Mount Carmel, Illinois, USA.
Died on: 9th April 1954 at Cairo, Illinois.
Buried at Mount Carmel Cemetery, Mt. Carmel, Illinois.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 2 September 1918 in France, Captain Hutcheson went through the Queant-Drocourt Support Line with his battalion, remaining on the field until every wounded man had been attended to. He dressed the wounds of a seriously hurt officer under terrific machine-gun and shell fire,and with the help of prisoners and his own men succeeded in evacuating the officer to safety. Immediately afterwards he rushed forward in full view of the enemy to attend a wounded sergeant and having placed him in a shell hole, dressed his wounds
Additional Information: He was the son of Mr. Bellenden Hutcheson and his wife Luella, of Mound City, Illinois USA. He stuDied on medicine and graduated from North Western University, Chicago. He returned to Mound City, Illinois to take up practise as a surgeon.
On the 14th December 1915 he volunteered for service in the 97th Battalion of the Canadian Army and served as it's Medical Officer. He was sent to the European Theatre of War and served with the Canadian Army Medical Corps and was attached to the 75th Battalion of the Central Ontario Regiment as it's MO. On the 8th August 1918 he was awarded the Military Cross. On the 14th December 1918 he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Private. 2nd/5th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers.
London Gazetted on 9th September 1916.
Born on 9th July, 1895 at 18, Bank Top, Radcliffe, Lancashire.
Died on 22nd January, 1972 at Torquay, Devon.
Memorial not known.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 28th June, 1916 opposite a Ficheux, France, a during an attack on the enemy's position, Private Hutchinson was the leading man, and entering their trench, shot two sentries and cleared two of the traverses. Afterwards, when the objective had been gained and the retirement ordered, Private Hutchinson, on his own initiative, undertook the dangerous task of covering the retirement thus ensuring that the wounded could be removed to safety. All the time he was exposed to fierce fire from machine guns and rifles at close quarters.
Additional information:.. He was the son of Samuel and Ann Hutchinson. He was educated at Radcliffe Parish Church School. He joined the army on the 28th September, 1914 as a private

HUTT, Arthur
Private. 1st/7th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
London Gazetted on 26th November, 1917.
Born on 12th February 1889 at Earlsdon, Coventry, Warwickshire.
Died on 14th April, 1954 at Coventry, Warwickshire.
Memorial on War Memorial Park, Coventry.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 4th October 1917 at Terrier Farm, south-east of Poelcapelle, Belgium, when all the officers and NCOs of No. 2 platoon had become casualties, Private Hutt took command of and led the platoon. He was held up by a strong post but immediately ran forward alone and shot the officer and three men in the post; between 40 and 50 others surrendered. Later, having pushed too far, he withdrew his party, covering them by sniping the enemy, and then carried back a wounded man to shelter. After he had consolidated his position, he then went out and carried in four more wounded under heavy fire